Saturday, January 9, 2010

Once upon a time...

Hello Everyone! Welcome to our new blog. We have been under a lot of pressure to give this thing a shot, and so we thought that as we count down to our wedding (8 Weeks!) we could use this to share with you our story. We are also under a lot of pressure to join Facebook, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I really don't need to have "friend" requests from kids in my 1st period.

So, let me tell you a story...

Once upon a time...October 1, 2005...it was a Saturday evening. A group of friends from the singles ward and I headed to Montage for dinner. After a fantastic meal, the gentlemen in the group decided that they wanted to go to someone's house and watch a movie. My friends, Jessica and Jessi, and I decided that we looked too good to sit in the dark at someone's house so we went off to find a different adventure. We ended up at Kell's (the only place I really knew downtown) with the goal of having our drinks (like my Diet Coke) paid for. It also didn't hurt that my student teacher at the time was working as security (read: bouncer) there and had been bugging me about meeting a fellow employee of his. He kept talking about this great Mormon guy I should meet. I did try to explain to Bret that our Mormon faith was not enough to guarantee a good match, but I was willing on that night to meet him if they were both working.
Once we got there, I found Bret working at the back door. He let me know that this guy he wanted me to meet was working at the front door. He took me outside and introduced me to Tom. What I remember from that night is that I liked his smile a lot and that he was wearing a beret kind of thing. I'll have to let him explain that one. So, we talked for quite a bit and I enjoyed our conversation. Little did I know that the bouncers were all connected through ear pieces and microphones and that they were talking to him in his ear the whole time we were talking.

When I returned inside, I found out that one of the bartenders had offered to pay for my friend Jessica's drink, some sort of juice. I doubt that's what he was thinking when he offered. In the end, all of our drinks were paid for. A truly successful night. :-)

When we left, we went and chatted with Tom for a bit so I could introduce him to my friends. He kept saying that he didn't have a place to watch General Conference, this broadcast from Salt Lake City that was to be on the next day. I was disappointed that he hadn't planned ahead for something so big...but when he tells the story, he was trying to get an invite out of me. Guess I was a little slow at that game.

After we left, I text messaged Bret and told him to give Tom my number. I was very intrigued by this Mormon/artist/bouncer/wrestler.

And that is how we met...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good beginning to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - thanks for letting me know about your blog! Facebook is a waste of time, but blogs, well, they're a lot of fun - and better at finding out what people are up to than a one-liner on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you already married or is that taking place in 8 weeks? If so, and you have extras, I would love an announcement. He seems like a Great guy, I wish you both the Best, and full of new adventures together...
    9 Elkton Drive 103
    Fredericksburg, VA 22406
    davidandcristie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like the beginning of a great joke; "two mormons meet at a bar..."!

    great blog, guys. can't wait to stalk you!

    -sarah & illya

    ReplyDelete