Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Adventures!!

Monteverde is the place of excitement! We have been super busy with all of the cool things that there are to do here!!

Yesterday morning, we woke up and after a good breakfast, we headed to Selvatura, which is a big park here that includes a lot of the good things to do. We started out with the zip lines. Tom did great...but I struggled a bit on the 2nd one . I stopped a bit short and one of the guides had to come out a few feet and get me. After that, they had me ride "taxi" style with one of the guides each time. It was kind of embarrassing, but actually, I really enjoyed it. It took the stress off for me, and I got to just lean back and enjoy the rides. The guides were really great about it. I often went first or last depending on when my "taxi" needed to go on to the next platform. They would yell, "Taxi!" and I would just go join them.

It is kind of a crazy feeling to be flying over the trees at that height and that speed. The last cable was a full kilometer long...that's over .6 miles for us Americans. Here's a picture of someone else on that last cable...


The zip lines took about 2 and a half hours in the morning. We then headed out on the hanging bridges tour that was on the same property. It was a hike just over 3 kilometers where we got to see a lot of the beautiful flowers that grow here in the Cloud Forest. The bridges were really cool, too. As you can see from the pictures below, I did just fine on the bridges, but Tom struggled a bit.

After that hike, we headed up to the restaurant for our lunch. During lunch, we watched an armadillo out the window. Those things can really dig!!

We then headed to the Butterfly Garden...my husband let me choose...he was more interested in the reptile land, but I think he enjoyed the butterflies, too. The pictures below show some of the fun things we saw. There were lots of different kinds of butterflies and our guide pointed out their eggs and the catapillars, too. The workers at the garden also collect all the cocoons and put them in this box to control the temperature. Look at all the different varieties!!

Last night, we also headed out on a night tour throught the cloud forest. We saw tarantualas, glow worms, walking sticks, and many other cool things that come out at night.

We slept very well last night as you can imagine. Tom is now headed out on an ATV tour while I am choosing to stay at the hotel and get a massage. Then, this afternoon, we head out to the Cheese Factory here in Monteverde. It was begun by Quakers in the 1950's when they moved here to avoid military service in the Korean War. We will let you know how it compares to Tillamook.

1 comment: