Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Early Arrival

So my due date is January 22 - tomorrow. I had planned to work for two weeks after winter break, be done on the 17th, and allow my sub to cover finals. I figured Corbin was 3 days late so this baby would probably not come too early.

Well, tomorrow is that due date and here I sit with a 17 day old baby sleeping in my arms. Obviously, this one wasn't listening to me make plans.

On the 3rd, Corbin and I met a friend from high school and her son at one of those indoor playgrounds. I met another pregnant mama and we discussed how unprepared we were for baby #2. Ha ha, we laughed, we should probably pack our hospital bags - only 3 weeks to go.

After play time, Corbin and I went to lunch where he took 90 minutes to eat. It was fun to have the lazy time with him knowing there wasn't going to be a lot of those times left with a new baby coming.

After visiting Aunt Sarah, we headed home. We got pizza with Tom and then watched a movie as a family. When it was over, I stood up and my pants were wet. I thought - could it be my water breaking? It wasn't anything dramatic but it seemed odd. Nahhh- and we gave Corbin a bath.

As we did, I felt like I was getting wetter every time I moved but if really didn't know. We have made many trips to labor and delivery this pregnancy so I hated to immediately jump in that direction again. But that's what we ended up doing. My mom came to watch Corbin and off we went.

As we waited for the midwife, I convinced myself that I had just had an embarrassing accident and we would be going home soon. But when the midwife ran her tests, it was obvious - my water had broken and I wasn't going home that night.

Instead they admitted me and suggested to tom and me that we get some sleep. I was having a contraction every now and then, but I wasn't even really feeling them. We would probably need to start pitocin in the morning to get labor going. So Tom ran home to get some stuff for us and his sister came to take over for my mom watching Corbin. And I tried to sleep. How can you sleep knowing you are going to have a baby the next day? And that you are about to experience total pain? Yeah, I didn't get that much rest.

So at 6 they started the IV of pitocin and contractions were pretty regular by 9 and pretty painful by 10. At 11, they said I was dialated to a 6.5 and they would check again in 2 hours. I asked for some painkillers so I could rest a bit. Right before noon,I told them I was feeling pressure and when they checked they realized baby was on his way.

I pushed for about 15 minutes or so and just as I really wondered why I didn't get an epidural, baby boy made his grand entrance. 12:25 pm on January 4, 2014.

So introducing --

Cole Michael Edward Cinquini

5 lbs 8 oz 19 inches long.


























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing birth stories - don't know why, but I do. Glad things went well. Cole is adorable. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete